Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Beggers everywhere

Hey people,i told you i won't be gone for long and you can see i'm keeping my promise.

I'm actually upset about something and i want to share with you cos i am almost certain some of you are as upset with the issue as i am.The other day,i was travelling to Abuja for my friend's wedding and i had a funny encounter with an immigration officer,a lady,at the airport.If you're a regular flyer then you'd know that they don't allow perfumes,body sprays etc on board any aircraft.I knew this actually,but i was just wondering how i'd travel without my perfume and to consider buying another when i get to Abuja was out of the question cos i was already spending alot on the journey.So,i just tried my luck and was happy and upset at thesame time.The woman checked my hand luggage,which was all i was travelling with then,and saw the cologne.
"Oga,you know you're not allowed to travel with this,but i'll just allow you."
I said "Thank you" and what she said next made me cringe "Oya find me something".I responded that i'd do that next time and left.I was quite upset cos i know what i was doing wasn't right but she allowed me by asking for peanut.A few days ago,i went to LG to get a small home theater for my boss's office.I got to the cashier,paid her for what  bought and the next thing she said got me really sad."Oga bless me na".What?! After paying for what i bought i should what? I told her next time and left.The guy that carried the home theater to the car also asked to be 'rogered' when he put the ware in the boot.I gave him a fine tip cos somehow i felt like it and he somehow worked for it.There's this fastfood,Kilimanjaro,that is close to my office and i go there regularly.The security men will always try to make you 'roger' them.Same goes to some banks i visit,the security guys will always want you to tip them.This is so sad.When did we turn to a country of beggers?!

As if that's not bad enough,you go to see some people in their offices and the security men would always want something before they let you see who you want to see.You go to government offices to see some bosses and their workers won't want to attend to you unless you give them some money.You win a contract and some groups won't want the payment to drop until you give them their 'cut'.The situation is really annoying and troubling.So now we're a bunch of beggers? A country full of beggers?

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm...they've always been there, you begin to notice it the more you rise, and they assume you have some change to spare. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true they've always been there,but they seem to be on a rapid increase.Everywhere you go,they're there to 'beg'.It's really disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the lady at the airport, could you blame her? Those lips of yours! But it seems like that everywhere even here in the States. Its not as obvious but there is usually the subtle clearing of the throat, asking if there is anything else? Or my all time favorite the slight placing of their hand on your shoulder or hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me smiling there,the slight placing of the hand on the shoulder or hand is quite funny.Meanwhile i doubt if my lips had anything to do with it.

      Delete
  4. I guess it's the norm in naija.
    This reminds me of when my mum came to visit me here some years back and we went to the mall to buy some things. In a store we went into, one of the saleslady was all jolly and nice to my mum - following her around, talking about the products, basically giving an excellent customer service (which is normal and regular here) but when we finished and were about leaving the store, my mum wanted to tip her for the service and she didn't accept it, saying she was simply doing her job. I was just laughing at my mum for the "ela" she received.
    I do understand tipping after getting a good service, like a waiter in the restaurant or something but asking/begging for it is just.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigeria is changing badly as regards this tipping.Very soon they'd be forcing the tip out of us.LOL

      Delete
  5. #sigh. I just get tired sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are everywhere. I guess here in GH is worse off sef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one incident. Myself and T went to Elmina Castle and the tour guide immediately demanded we "settle" him when he realized we were Nigerians. It was funny and embarrassing at the same time.

      Delete
    2. @Priscy: So it's bad in GH too? Wow!

      @Emaleecious: What?! That's serious

      Delete
  7. Its freaking annoying. They are everywhere. Everywhere you turn, some people are asking you to "find somtin for the boys na". Gosh!!! I thought it was only me that it irritated.
    The sad thing is if you have parked somewhere and are about pulling out and you refuse to give the security there "something" you are completely on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the way in Nigeria now o. Everybody wants something extra, it's kinda like a motivation to work harder. I tip them though if I am impressed but if not, you fit speak English till eternity, I go just strong face.
      Oga I just commented on your post, find me something na...ha ha ha! http://www.frediliadtruthuncensored.com/ Added you to my blog list, would be happy if you did same.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha @ " I tip them though if I am impressed but if not, you fit speak English till eternity, I go just strong face."

      I'll do thesame dear.Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I used to think I was the only one who felt this way. A nation of beggars indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely are not alone.Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.

      Delete