Wednesday, May 4, 2011

To be a man...

I found it very hard to sleep last night even though i was dead tired,i mean zonked! Eventually i slept around 3am or so and had to wake up and head for work.Seriously,i didn't want to wake up cos somehow the sleep decided to be sweet when i had to be at work.It took my mind back to when i was very young.Then you didn't also have a choice but to get up and go to school.If you don't want to,you'll be woken up from your bed and either advised or simple made to go to school.Then when i was in the university,it was better because no one was around and so i went to school when i felt like it...i was a very good student sha o.Anyway,i got prepared and got to work but it never occurred to me that i'd be on a journey of serious thoughts till i sat on my system.I graduated from the university and my department has been torturing me with their incompetence and so i'm still yet to go for my compulsory youth service.The good thing however is that i got a job even before i graduated and so work has been easing the pressure this service issue would've otherwise placed on me.

This morning,i tried fulfilling the promise i made to a friend that i'd help him check for schools abroad for his Masters/Graduate program.It was easy because i already had one in Canada that i'm looking at doing my own masters.Now,to the 'Masters' issue.I studied Library and Information Technology in the university but my love for computers and related gadgets made me decide to major in Info Tech.I have various ICT skills that i was taught in the university but had to learn on my own based on my love and so i decided to further that by doing my masters.The thing however is that i have decided i didn't want to bother anyone for my fees or upkeep and all *sounding tough*.I want to sponsor myself through my master degree program in Canada.I know it'll cost alot,yet this is what i have decided.I keep looking at the cost involved and even though it's huge,i just know i'll get it somehow.And that was when it hit me that being a man isn't a piece of cake...not that being a woman is though.But being a man entails a whole lot.It entails people expecting so much from you and even you expecting so much from yourself,not that some men care about this sha,but that's how it is.It's hard to see a MAN,not a man,being comfortable with being helped all the time.It's hard to see a MAN being comfortable with sitting around doing nothing.The pressure from both within and without will just not allow it.For instance,i moved out of the house immediately i graduated,even though my mom kept on telling me how it wasn't time yet and all that.But i moved out all thesame and i'm not regretting any second of it.But,it's not been a piece of cake because now i have to do everything for myself,i have to take care of myself.And because lots of people thinks you're doing well,sometimes you take care of people too,in a way...oh,i mean 'I'...hehehehehehe! Now i know how my father,uncles and other much grown adults would've been feeling...my respect don increase! The head just have to work steadily because what you have isn't ever enough...or at least mostly never enough.The more you climb higher,the more hurdles you have to scale.The aim of this post is no to ramble or nag,it just a way of telling those men out there that i understand,cos i'm one of them...i've been for a few years now and i know it's a battle-field out there.Keep your head up mates,we go make the papers! *in English accent* Have  a nice day people.

9 comments:

  1. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown! Adulthood just heaps on us a lot of responsibilites. Gone are the days you visit uncles/aunts and look forward to the dash they'll hand out, now, ur younger siblings/cousins expect same from u and you cant dare 'fall their hands'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.E.T Projects-You get it.Na im make i dey hustle hard o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be a responsible adult no be days job. Good luck to you and your friend on getting the admissions and scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Adulthood. And the reality is that it doesnt get better. The responsibility just piles up and people expect so much from you and you will also expect more from yourself. I wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myne Whitman-Hehehehe...i like your pidgin english Myne,e don tey wey you comot for house.Thanks alot,we need the goodluck.

    Okeoghene-Even though your welcome came late,i'm still grateful Okeoghene...hehehehe.Thanks alot for the wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the world man! But there's grace for the race...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dami-Thanks alot Dami and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit it- people expect a lot more from men than they do from women. Women can sit around without raising eyebrow. Not so with you guys lol

    Good luck with the masters. I'm looking at one too and the fees are enormous. I don't even know where to get it from. But God shall provide for us :D

    Adiya

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Corner Shop-You obviously know the deal.Thanks for the congrats though and yes,God will provide definitely.

    ReplyDelete